Friday, July 28, 2006

false hopes

Boy....I got a good dose of reality talking to fellow students at the hospital yesterday. Hmmm....it's scary to realize that only a third of all nutrition students will go on to become dietitians after graduation. It's really weird, because that's what we're all training to do in school, but the internship world turns away a good 2/3 of us, wishing us luck as we figure out what plan B is. There really is no full assurance for being in this program. Looking at the most recent graduating class, I've seen average students get 1st round matches with their choice placement, and exceptional students unable to score an interview. I am so confused as to what these ppl want from us. *sigh* Hearing from grads that are waiting to apply again this year; stories of anxiety, frustration, time wasted, self-doubt etc. really makes me wonder what should I be doing if I had to wait an extra year to get in. The praise and encouragement I'm given at nygh, I take it with a big boulder of salt, as they're not the ones that have a say in the hiring committee. If they were tho....muahaahahha.... *oh quit daydreaming doreen* Anyway, this school year should be interesting. There are some gaps to fill in my resume and in my grades. I foresee the most nerdy year ever.

But a few more weeks of summer remains to be enjoyed.... :o) My sister's wedding is in 15 days! We'll be cramming in out-of-town relatives, so our household will be filled to the brim with 11 ppl. I get first dibs on the biggest couch!