Friday, March 21, 2003

Well, I'm done "I kissed dating good-bye" and it wasn't what I anticipated. I expected to be stabbed by the truth, but I was reminded instead. All my friends in rez that read it told me it was like a slap in the face, so I was a little nervous going into it, unsure of what parts of my mentality has been wrong. Thanks to all those special people in my life who has helped me stay in the right path all along, cause I really enjoyed reading it and it's assured me of what God's plan is for me. = ) This book really came at a right time. Just when I felt like an old maid again, hehhe, perhaps b/c there aren't a lot of frosh left 'unhooked' (even in ACF), this book came and clarified my stance and my priorities. = )
At the beginning of the book, Joshua Harris talked about the negative tendencies of dating. Here are the 7 Habits of Highly Defective Dating: 1. Dating leads to intimacy but not necessarily commitment (he talks about how w/o commitment, there shouldn't be intimacy) 2. Dating tends to skip the 'friendship' stage of the relationship (he stresses how important it is to get to someone beyond all the surface stuff) 3. Dating often mistakes a physical relationship for love. 4. Dating often isolates a couple from other vital relationships. 5. Dating, in many cases, distracts young adults from their primary responsibility of preparing for the future. 6. Dating can cause discontentment with God's gift of singleness. 7. Dating creates an artificial environment for evaluating another person's character.
More notes on the way. = )